Sunday, January 01, 2006

A Sacred Circle of Believing Mirrors

Julia Cameron likes to think of groups doing The Artist's Way together as clusters. In the Appendix of the book, she talks about forming a sacred circle--a sacred trust with each other. She mentions a concept that's often mentioned in 12-step programs: principles over personalities. She also speaks of the myth of the solitary artist, and how many of us have bought into that cultural image. Lord knows I did during my drinking days.

Some quotes from the Appendix:

"One of our great cultural secrets is the fact that artists like other artists."

"As artists, we must find those who believe in us, and in whom we believe, and band together for support, encouragement and protection."

"When people ask me what I think is the single most important factor in an artist's sustained productivity...is what I call 'a believing mirror'...to say a 'yes' to each other's creativity."

And this: "Let us form constellations of believing mirrors and move into our powers."

Yes, let's. I'm polishing the glass on my mirror now. I will do my best to reflect back to you your best image.

2 Comments:

At 1:24 AM, Blogger ~ Artist said...

Hello,
Yes, this is *so* true. I prefer to be alone, but I also love the company of writers and artists. I've had the pleasure only a few times, here and there, but rarely face to face...
i love the idea of the sacred circle... and i need a beleive mirror. I'll try to be one for you and the others who join in our journey, too.
Thank you for this post -- well put!
Rachel

 
At 10:07 AM, Blogger Folkgirl said...

Julia's idea of artists supporting each other was such a warm change than what I've been used to.

It seems so obvious...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home