Sunday, January 08, 2006

Artist Date #1


The weather was gorgeous yesterday, sunny and almost warm. I'd had a productive early morning. Did my morning pages (by candlelight), checked blogs, wrote several blog posts. I showered and dressed, kissed J. goodbye (he was still in bed) and said I was going out for awhile. It was so beautiful outside, I just had to get outdoors. I figured I might as well do my first artist date right off because I've got a busy week ahead.

I didn't have any particular plan. I took the camera with me and began strolling, snapping the occasional photo. Things that were blooming were catching my eye. The surroundings seemed to be a wonderful mixture of the blooming and the bare. I was only able to get a few shots off before the batteries in the camera died.

I walked to Borders and spent an hour just strolling and browsing through different sections of the store. I left without spending a penny, but at various moments I could be found standing, squatting, kneeling, sitting on the floor or in a chair...reading. I'd read a bit from one book and if it triggered a thought about another type of book, I'd put the one in my hand back on the shelf and go in search of the next one. (I find Borders' shelving to be rather counter-intuitive, so sometimes finding books there can be a challenge.)

When I left Borders, I walked to the Hallmark store. My brand-new ergonomic pen I'd bought last week at Office Max had already run out of ink. I got a total of 8 pages of morning pages out of it. What a rip-off! I would have taken it back, but I didn't keep the receipt since I'd only purchased 1 pen and 2 cheap spiral notebooks. (I hadn't anticipated that a return would soon be in order.) I'd originally wanted a disposable fountain pen, since that's what I used to use for morning pages, but couldn't find one at Office Max. The Hallmark store had them and I bought one with turquoise ink and one with purple ink.

My last stop was Aquarius, the New Age store, which is only a couple of blocks from the house. I browsed around...through the clothes, books, jewelry, candles. At Borders it had occurred to me that it might be nice to have a companion book--another tome to accompany me through the next 12 weeks. I didn't come across anything at Borders that really spoke to me though--not strong enough to commit to it for 12 weeks. But at Aquarius I spotted SARK's "Succulent Wild Woman" and it seemed perfect for my intended purpose. At the front of the book she breaks it into 12 "menu selections." Perfect. I think it will dovetail nicely with AW. I'd also been wanting a nice journal, not for morning pages--I 'dump' those in a spiral notebook--but as a special place to record thoughts, insights, ideas. I come up with lots of ideas, but I'm not always very good at writing them down. I found a lovely, very lightweight bamboo journal. Sold.

All in all, a lovely first Artist Date.

13 Comments:

At 9:08 AM, Blogger Heather said...

sounds like such a nice morning, I would love to go strolling around taking pictures, maybe i'll have to work it out and do it.

 
At 9:29 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Oh, wow - that sounds like a wonderful Artist's Date, a lot of fun! Hmmm. Maybe I'll let myself wander through Barnes & Noble for one - I never thought of just following thoughts from one book to the next - that is a great one!

 
At 10:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had a great artist date this first week out. You're really on fire with AW this second time around ... I'm so inspired by you!

 
At 10:38 AM, Blogger daru said...

sounds so relaxing...love the pictures and colors. too bad nyc doesn't have much winter flora! i'd still love to walk around and shoot some pics of my neighborhood...it's so fun around here.

 
At 10:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a wonderful artist's date. I wish I could stroll around with my camera, but that will have to wait until after the baby is born. :)

I may have to visit Hallmark and check out those fountain pens though. :)

I also love your wandering book tour. That sounds like fun, too. :)

 
At 12:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

what a great Artist's date. can't wait to have mine.

 
At 4:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice journal! That sounds fun.

 
At 5:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

fantastic date miss marilyn!! i love just browsing in stores. sometimes it's so much more satisfying than purchasing just to purchase.

i think an idea book is a wonderful thing. it's also a great place to stick awesome quotes and little sparks that come into your head.

and i just looooooved that sark book. :-)

 
At 6:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today I did my second day of mpgs. Ripped, zipped, flew through them.
I guess I had an inadvertant artist date on Friday. I had a day very similar to yours. Chapters was my spot. Reading, reading, reading, a treasure trove of inspiration!

 
At 6:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It all sounds like an AWESOME artist date! I love the sound of your new pens - when I was younger I was obsessed with fountain pens - I think I had one that wrote purple ink and got all over my fingers.

Whew! You are going to be one creative wild woman by the time all of this is through - dripping manjo juice all over the place! Go, you!

 
At 8:23 PM, Blogger Teri said...

Retail therapy rocks! I used to be a compulsive journal buyer, but never wrote in the really nice ones. Something about being afraid to mess up. Hmmm...

I've been doing the MPs in a plain old spiral bound notebook as well. I found myself asking today: What am I, a glutton for punishment? This page is huge! College ruled!"

 
At 10:19 PM, Blogger liz elayne lamoreux said...

Sounds like a great date with yourself. Succulent Wild Woman is fantastic - you are going to love it. Having a companion book like that is a great idea. I am so glad I discovered this AW blog you have created.

 
At 2:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What a great idea!

I'm going to steal it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home