Tuesday, January 10, 2006

cliches

I wrote a bit in the "filtering" post below about how the sample 'core negative beliefs' list in Cameron's book doesn't resonate with me. (And if it resonates with you, more power to ya...I can only speak for me.) I re-read that section of Week 1 last night, sitting in bed, and it dawned on me why it doesn't resonate. It seems dated to me. To ME. Cameron makes a few references in the early pages of the book that imply that 'people' view artists as these sorts of drugged-out, drunken whores. Really? Do people still think that? I'll admit that during my heavy drinking--when many of my musician friends were still drinking and drugging hard--I might have bought into that myth, too. But even I've been sober for nearly 16 years (and there were plenty of musicians I knew who'd already gotten clean and sober by the time I walked into A.A. for the first time). In 2006, do we as a culture still buy into that public perception of 'artist?' If we do, I'm surprised, because it certainly doesn't fit the profile of the people I consider to be artists.

When I think of artistic, creative people, I think of souls striving to live an authentic life. Do I agree when Cameron suggests that some fear choosing a more creatively fulfilling life because that path might not lead to prosperity? Yes. And it's a not unfounded fear. I live with a performing artist, so I see up close and personal how little value we often give to art in this country. (American jazz musicians are much more valued in Europe and Japan than they are in the States.)

I can think of many, many people in the blogosphere who I would call 'artist.' And I don't think of a single one of them as someone who's loaded on booze and/or drugs and sleeping around promiscuously. I realize that Cameron's references along those lines might be a tiny little blip on the screen for most people--some may not have even noticed them at all. Maybe it's because there was a (long ago) time in my life when I actually lived that life that it jumps out at me. If I were her, I think I might want to let go of some of those old, tired cliches in future editions. (I have the 10th anniversary edition, published in 2002). I'm just sayin'... :)

5 Comments:

At 6:18 AM, Blogger Andres said...

I have to agree with you on how some of those negative beliefs sound dated. I think the point that Cameron makes is that the point of origin for a lot of these negative beliefs are external that somehow we have internalized. I am neither young nor old, but contributing writers of my story and builders of my universe may not be as aware of the artist's life as I am. So if its not our parents, not our teachers, not our friends, or our spouses, who or what it keeping us from creating. In the end I think Cameron is trying to make the point you are making... that there is some intangible mysterious (often scary) idea of what an artist's life appears and is projected to be like (that need to be deconstructed) that is not representative or helpful for us in choosing and fulfilling out artistic dreams.

 
At 11:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, the first time i read the aw, that part didn't make sense to me either, but i figured that those were *her* negative core beliefs and i'd need to figure out my own, which include "artist's are poor."

 
At 1:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have to agree with you. I don't see artist's this way either. "Starving artis" still seems to apply lol.

I kinda let that whole section go right back out of my brain. :) I think todays artist faces totally different challenges like not being taken seriously and perhaps not even taking ourselves seriously.

 
At 10:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What's with the gay references too? I like the inclusivity idea behind her considering what this process might be like for gay people but her idea's were strange to me. She speculated they might worry that embracing their creative selves might turn them straight.

Odd. Odd indeed.

 
At 9:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting reflection... I concur about the dated nature of some of her writing. It's not resonating with me mostly for different reasons, but I do remember being non-plussed by the same negative core beliefs. The challenge, I suppose, is to dig through the book and rise to the tasks and words that do resonate.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home