Sunday, February 19, 2006

inspiration share

This is an "A" blog in the AW group, and weeks ago we A's and B's were asked to share something that inspires us. I didn't have a chance to do that without my computer, but I wanted to tell you something I did that I found fulfilling. One night while Jeffrey was at a gig, I was reading some of SARK's Succulent Wild Woman. It's been a good companion book for this process for me. I enjoyed the passage I'd just read, so I began to re-read it...and then it occurred to me to read it aloud. So I started reading aloud, but not in a monotone...I started reading it as if you were all sitting here with me, as if I were performing The Vagina Monologues or something. I started breathing differently and reading with feeling and emotion and projection. And it felt really powerful to do that. It really gave life to the words. (I know that sounds corny, but it did.)

Here's the passage I 'performed' in my living room that night:

Once we've rambled through our dry and tame places, we can begin to explore succulence. Succulent wild woman is a process, and an adventure. To discover, and recover, your own succulence is a voyage of the interior and exterior. Succulence comes from your center--the sweet, true part of you--your essence--that belongs to no one else.

Wildness is relative. Wild is a state of mind that relates directly to succulence. We are each in a process of being and becoming a succulent wild woman!

I am sharing my own journey so that you can be a part of my exploration.

I am very real--deeply human, partly human, splendidly and horribly imperfect, bent, disguised, loud, ever-changing, thought-full and thought-less, wildly narcisstic in certain spots.

How are you most human? What would a map of you look like? There are so many ways to be named and defined, yet we are ultimately a mystery. What a glorious thing!

~SARK, Succulent Wild Woman

So after 'performing' this bit two or three times that night, I had a thought: I wonder if SARK would allow her material to be pulled together into a play? What a powerful, women-centric performance piece that could be!

What would a map of YOU look like?

Try this with a passage from one of your favorite books. But do it when you're alone--its power lies in the freedom that comes from not being inhibited by the presence of others. After all, weren't we all fabulous rock stars in the privacy of our bedrooms, 'singing' in front of our mirrors with our hairbrushes as mic's? ;)

7 Comments:

At 1:16 PM, Blogger Jana B said...

That sounds like a great book.. I keep hearing about SARK everywhere! And after that quote, I can see why everyone loves her writing. :)

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Leah said...

hehe, i linked to that book in my post about inspiration for this week. it's a great one. and i LOVE your idea of performing it, both alone and in play form. great idea!! i'm glad you aren't trying to catch up all at once, you've got enough on your plate!! :-) and i can't begin to tell you how happy i am that you're back!!! xoxoxo

 
At 6:59 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I love love love that quote - and the idea of it being performed!

I have added that book to my things I need to read, I've heard it mentioned several times lately - so I need to check it out at some point!

 
At 9:11 AM, Blogger Kara said...

Oooo, Oooo - It is so good to have you back! Thank you for the inspiration. I have three SARK books - including the one you mentioned. I'll never forget the first book of hers I discovered called "A Creative Companion". I also have "Make Your Creative Dreams Real" and I'm thinking of doing it - like the Artist Way after we finish the AW.
I can't go perform today as my hubby is home - but sometime this week I might make an artist's date of performing in front of my studio. What a great, great idea!

 
At 11:26 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Okay, I had to - just a little hay (perhaps as inspiration, perhaps just to make you smile).

 
At 12:20 PM, Blogger Tinker said...

What a wonderful idea! I periodically pull out SARK's books and re-read them - next time I'll have to try this method. SARK's writing is so creative and inspirational, it would make a wonderful storyteller-type play.
Have you thought about approaching her via her website/e-mail about this? Maybe this could tie in with your dreams of producing...

 
At 12:22 PM, Blogger Tinker said...

Oh my gosh - I just realized I was able to see the word verification to leave a comment on a blogger blog! Usually it doesn't show up for me...just had to share that synchronicity with you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home